Police in Kumasi have arrested one person in connection with the looting of some Nigerian Shops in Suame Magazine in Kumasi Wednesday.
The arrest was made Thursday Morning Starr News has gathered.
The Police say a search party is currently working to arrest all those involved in the mayhem.
Some Nigerian shops were attacked following a spillover of trade tensions between the locals and the foreigners in the Suame spare-parts business centre.
“So far, two names have been mentioned to the Police as the mastermind of the attacks and efforts are underway to get them arrested. Other persons who have also been captured on video destroying properties belonging to Nigerian Traders and burning car tyres will duly be identified and arrested,” the statement said.
Government has condemned the attacks and warned offenders will be punished.
Below are details of a statement by the police
UPDATE ON RECENT IMPASSE BETWEEN GUTA AND NUTAG SUAME MAGAZINE-BRANCH
- In view of the recent impasse between the Ghana Union of Traders Association (GUTA) and the Nigerian Union of Traders Association Ghana (NUTAG) Suame Magazine branch in Kumasi, Ashanti Region.
- The Regional Police Command had meetings with the Executives of both GUTA and NUTAG on Monday 17th and Tuesday 18th June, 2019 respectively, in order to find a lasting solution to the impasse. Both parties assured the Command of a peaceful dialogue on the matter to ensure that peace and harmony prevail between their members.
- However, yesterday 19th June, 2019 in the morning, a group of young men believed to be members of GUTA clad in red bands attacked a shop belonging to a Nigerian trader destroying items in the shop and burning Car tyres amidst chanting of war songs as a way of protest.
- The Command has taken a serious view of the attacks and has since deployed Police officers with the assistance of the Military to the area to restore calm and ensure sanity.
- So far, two names have been mentioned to the Police as the mastermind of the attacks and efforts are underway to get them arrested. Other persons who have also been captured on video destroying properties belonging to Nigerian Traders and burning car tyres will duly be identified and arrested
- Officers who have been deployed to the area will continue to announce their presence until the situation is normalized.
- Meanwhile, a meeting convened by both executives yesterday 19th June, 2019 have resolved that, nobody should be prevented from doing his or her business, as such all shops will be opened for business today Thursday 20th June 2019.
- That, their members have spoken to their members, as such whoever does anything contrary should be arrested and prosecuted in order to serve as deterrent to others.
- The Command is therefore assuring the Nigerian Traders to go back and open their shops and continue to do their business without any fear of attack. That the Police officers and the Military will be within Suame magazine and its surrounding areas to ensure that whoever does anything untoward is arrested and made to face the full regours of the law without any fear or favor.
- The Media persons reporting on the issue are once again being urged to be circumspect in their reportage. As some of the reports does not reflect the facts on the ground.