Former President Jerry John Rawlings who hails from Volta Region is angry by a so-called breakaway from Ghana of the Volta Region and some parts of the Northern and Upper East regions otherwise called the Independent Western Togoland, MyNewsGh.com reports.
According to Deputy Minister of Defense, Major [rtd]Derrick Oduro both the former President and former National Chairman of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) have written to government expressing reservations about the activities of the separatists
“Former President Rawlings and Dr. Obed Asamoah have written to the government they are not happy by group’s activities”, Deputy Minister of Defense, revealed on Kumasi-based Otec FM afternoon political talkshow monitored by MyNewsGh.com.
This comes after security agencies have mounted a coordinated manhunt for the secessionists led by Eighty-five year old man, Charles Kormi Kordzordzi, aka Papavi, and seven other people contrary to rumors they have full backings of influential personalities in the region.
The Deputy Minister admits that government had earlier been lenient with them in view of the age of the leader but is optimistic they would be dealt with in accordance with the law this time round.
“Earlier, government was lenient with them because of their ages because we thought they cannot do anything after they were first arrested and granted bail”, the Minister told host of ‘Dwabrem’ Agya Wusu Ansah.
The Homeland Study Group Foundation a fortnight ago declared independence for the Volta, and parts of the Northern, North Eastern and Upper East Regions after its meeting held Ho.
The Ho District Court has however ordered the arrest of the leader of the Homeland Study Group Foundation (HSGF), Charles Kwame Kudzodzi and two others over their unlawful declaration of parts of the Volta Region as a sovereign state.
This was after eleven were arrested and 5 other members of the group were put before court for taking part in the activity.
The five have since been charged with treason and have been remanded into prison custody until December 4, after the prosecution told the court that they would be needed to assist with investigations.